Home Insurance

John Lewis Home Insurance review: Is it any good?

Home insurance can help protect you from substantial financial costs should anything happen to your property or personal belongings. This is a review of John Lewis’s standard home insurance product underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited.

 - 7 Min Read
Last updated and fact checked:
John Lewis Home Insurance review: Is it any good?
  • John Lewis Home Insurance offers buildings cover and contents cover.
  • Its policies have three tiers - Bronze, Silver and Gold so you can find cover for your needs.
  • The company’s Bronze policy has a 4-star Defaqto rating, while both its Silver and Gold tiers have 5-stars

Standard home insurance cover from John Lewis Finance - FAQs

  • Is John Lewis Home Insurance regulated?

    John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Munich Re Digital Partners Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry out insurance distribution activities.

  • What optional extras does John Lewis Home Insurance offer?

    Other optional add-ons include buildings and contents accidental damage, personal possessions away from the home, and bicycle and gadget cover.

  • Can John Lewis Home Insurance cover high-value items like art or jewellery?

    Yes. John Lewis's current policies can cover your valuables, including jewellery, watches, art, or antiques. However, each tier has a different limit for valuables cover, so purchasing the correct amount of cover is crucial. When you get a quote, you must list valuables worth over £3,000.

Editorial Note: We earn a commission from partner links on Pension Times. Commissions do not affect our writers’ or editors’ opinions or evaluations. Read our full affiliate disclosure here.

This article was written by Pension Times, comparing John Lewis Home Insurance policies to other policies on the market. John Lewis Finance verified it to ensure factual accuracy and compliance. 

While primarily famous for being a high-street retailer, John Lewis also sells different insurance products. It's easy to get insurance quotes from the company's website, where you can find its other financial products, like credit cards and pet and car insurance. But do they now compete with other home insurance companies? 

Why choose John Lewis Home Insurance? 

John Lewis Home Insurance provides a flexible way to choose your policy, so you only pay for the cover you need, not the things you don't. It's all part of John Lewis doing insurance a different way.

To purchase it, all you need to do is choose from three straightforward levels of cover: Bronze, Silver or Gold cover for your buildings, contents or both. Then select which optional add-ons suit your needs.

Once you've done that, you can tailor your policy to suit your new circumstances at any time without admin fees or hidden charges. There is no extra charge if you pay monthly. If you have any problems, their customer service team is only ever a phone call away.

What home insurance does John Lewis offer?

The company offers both contents insurance and buildings insurance and also combined.

Buildings insurance

Getting buildings insurance for a new home or an existing property is generally a requirement for getting a mortgage in the UK. However, even if you've not got a mortgage, it's still a good idea to have cover, as it will provide financial protection against many problems that can be expensive to fix. For example, think of the havoc a water leak or subsidence can wreak! 

Comprehensive buildings insurance should cover you for all that and more. John Lewis's buildings cover has three levels for different levels of cover (Gold, Silver and Bronze). All three cover repairing and rebuilding your home, alternative accommodation, trace and access, and locks and keys, subject to policy limits. Having all those included is great to see, with the alternative accommodation cover particularly attractive. That can take some of the stress out of the time you may need to make your property habitable again. 

Contents insurance

Contents insurance covers all the things inside your property. There are three levels of cover again - Bronze, Silver and Gold. All of these will cover you, up to different amounts, for the following.

Replacing your contents

John Lewis stipulates the maximum amount they'll pay to replace your home's contents under each tier. This is £50,000 with Bronze, £100,000 with Silver, and you get an unlimited contents sum insured with Gold.

Alternative accommodation should you need it

With all three levels of cover, you may be able to live in alternative accommodation if your property or contents were damaged (following an insured incident) to the extent that you can’t live in your home. 

If damage to your contents makes your home inhabitable, a Gold policy will provide unlimited cover, while Silver and Bronze policies will cover up to £15,000 and £10,000, respectively.

If damage to the building means you can’t live in your home, John Lewis will pay an unlimited amount to cover your costs if you have a Gold policy, while Silver and Bronze policies cover alternative accommodation costs of up to £100,000 and £50,000, respectively. 

Valuables in your home

You can insure your valuables separately, with the Gold tier paying up to a maximum of £40,000. For Silver, you get up to £20,000 cover; for Bronze, you get up to £10,000. 

Rental property damage

If you're a tenant and take out Gold tier cover, your policy will pay out up to £20,000 for damage caused while making landlord-approved improvements to your home. If you take out a Silver policy, you get up to £15,000; if you take out a Bronze policy, you get up to £10,000. 

Also included as standard are unauthorised transactions on your bank cards (up to £1,000). In addition, should you need more specific, comprehensive types of cover, there are various optional add-ons. 

What level of contents insurance do I need?

Home contents insurance will cover various problems you may experience - from theft to damage. To determine how much cover you need, consider everything in your home and how much it would cost to replace. Your cover level should be up to the amount you need to cover everything in your home should you lose it all. While we often think about contents insurance in the context of if your house burned down, it can also cover you if your home is burgled and you suffer limited losses. 

It's vital not to underestimate the amount of cover you need so that you do not lose out if you have to make a claim. You don't want to incur expenses buying items your insurance could have covered. So remember to think about all your possessions and valuables when deciding on the value of your home contents. 

Personal possessions cover is usually required if you take items outside of your home if you want them protected. Good examples of such things would be jewellery and watches. Luckily, John Lewis Home Insurance offers such cover as an optional add-on.

It's crucial when calculating your final contents insurance level to remember that contents insurance doesn't cover damage to the structure of your home. If things like your roof or windows are damaged, that's something that you could claim under a buildings insurance policy. 

Optional add-ons

In addition to the add-ons that come as standard, you can buy other add-ons from John Lewis Home Insurance if you need them. Below are a select few examples:

Accidental damage cover - contents 

Spilt wine on the sofa or smashed your TV screen? Add accidental damage cover for your contents to give peace of mind when life’s little mishaps happen. Accidental damage is caused by a sudden, unforeseen and unintentional event. 

Home emergency cover

Cover for a sudden and unforeseen emergency in your home, for example, loss of heating or hot water, plumbing and drainage systems, loss of electricity, vermin and unsecured outside doors and windows. John Lewis provides temporary repairs to resolve emergencies, no charge for parts or call-outs and alternative accommodation for family members if your home is uninhabitable.

John Lewis also provides the option to add boiler servicing cover, providing an annual service for your gas, oil or LPG boiler. It also contributes to the cost of replacing your boiler if it’s beyond repair.

Student cover

There is an option to add an extra £5,000 of Contents Cover for each student in your family while they’re living away from home to study at school, college or university. John Lewis can cover individual items up to £1,500, but ensure you read the policy wording

Legal expenses cover

If you are involved in a legal dispute, this option provides access to a legal helpline and will cover up to £100,000 of your legal costs.

Personal cyber cover

The costs you may incur due to being hacked online or a victim of cybercrime can be immense. John Lewis Home Insurance provides cover and protection against online fraud, as well as helping rectify computer problems like removing viruses from your computer or restoring home systems. 

Taking out a John Lewis Home Insurance policy

In addition to making it easy for you to buy a tailored home insurance policy, the company also has valuable tools, such as a home contents calculator, which can help you determine the level of coverage you need. If you're researching the market for a home insurance provider, John Lewis will likely be able to offer a competitive quote that is worth considering.

Image Credit: Kara Eads at Unsplash

The content on https://www.pensiontimes.co.uk is provided for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as professional financial advice. Should you need such advice, you should consult a financial adviser that is registered with the Financial Conduct Authority. Any references to products, offers, rates, and services from third parties or those advertised are served by those third parties and are subject to change. We may have financial relationships with some of the companies mentioned on this website. We strive to write accurate and genuine reviews and articles, and all views and opinions expressed are solely those of the authors. We are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to provide advice, to act as an authorised introducer, or to otherwise sell any financial services or products. However, we endeavour to only link to and highlight brands that are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and/or the Prudential Regulation Authority, and where your money will be protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme should you choose to buy a product or service from that particular brand.
See More